Write By the Sea Literary Festival (WBTS) now invites entries for our 2020 Writing Competitions
(the closing date for entries is 11.59 pm on Friday 10 July 2020)
In keeping with Kilmore Quay’s maritime location and traditions, the general competition theme is ‘Waves’ and all entries must relate to this theme.
Two category winners will be presented with a cash prize of €250 and the overall winner will receive the top cash prize of €500.
All three winners will receive a beautiful hand-crafted Write By The Sea Festival 2020 Writing Competition trophy and all three winning pieces will be published on the Write By The Sea website.
There are three competition categories:
1. Fiction Short Story (maximum 3,000 words)
2. Memoir – a factual account of a memorable moment
(maximum 3,000 words)
3. Poetry (maximum 40 lines)
The independent panel of judges will select one winner in each category.
One of the three category winners will be selected as the overall winner.
We look forward to receiving your entries and we wish you every success in the 2020 competition.
RULES AND CONDITIONS
- The competition is open for entries from Monday 16th March 2020.
- Entries must be the original and unpublished work of the entrant.
- Entries must relate to our Write By The Sea 2020 theme ‘Waves’.
- Entries must be typed in Word document format and double-spaced* (see Note A below).
- Entries must be submitted via the Online Entry Form on the Competition page of the WBTS website, writebythesea.ie where entrants will upload their names and contact details.
- As submissions are judged on an anonymous basis, the author’s name and contact details must not appear anywhere in the text of the writing submission.
- Entrants can submit as many entries as they wish at €10 per entry, or €25 for three entries (which can be in any or all of the three categories).
- The decision of the judges is final.
- No correspondence/contact will be entered into and no feedback will be given to individual entrants.
- Entrants should retain copies of their work as entries will NOT be returned.
- The closing date for entries is 11.59 pm on Friday 10 July 2020
- Committee members and relatives of committee members of the Write By The Sea festival, its agents, contributors or sponsors are not eligible to enter the competition.
- All non-winning entries will be deleted from our records after three months from the date of the announcement of the competition results.
Note A: It breaks our hearts when we have to disqualify entrants who break the rules. Sadly, last year we disqualified over 50% of the entries for disregarding simple rules such as not submitting text in double spacing or including their names and addresses in the text of their submissions.
Note B: When you successfully submit an entry to the competition you will receive two emails from us.
The first email is confirmation of the information submitted by you, including a copy of the information you provided and the entry you uploaded.
The second is a receipt of payment of your entry fee from Kilmore Quay Community Development Association CLG.
if you do not receive these emails within 24 hours of submitting your entry, please check your spam folder. If you do not receive both emails, your submission has not been entered in the competition. Please try again.
If you have any concerns or questions, please get in touch with us via email@example.com
The closing date for entries has now expired. Entry Forms are no longer availabe.
The closing date for entries was 11:59pm July 10th 2020.
- Monday 16 March 2020 – Competition opens
- Friday 10 July 2020 – competition closes at 11.59 pm
- Friday 21 August 2020 – shortlist of the winning entries will be posted on the WBTS website, writebythesea.ie
- September 2020 – winners will be notified by WBTS
- October 2020 – the winning pieces will be published on the WBTS website