Write By the Sea Literary Festival (WBTS) 2022 Writing Competitions
Two category winners will be presented with a cash prize of €500 and the overall winner will receive the top cash prize of €1,000.
All three winners will receive a beautiful hand-crafted Write By The Sea Festival 2022 Writing Competition trophy and all three winning pieces will be published on the Write By The Sea website.
Each category winner will receive a free weekend ticket to Write By The Sea festival 2022 (Covid-19 restrictions in force at festival time will determine the type of free ticket to be offered).
There are three competition categories:
1. Fiction Short Story (maximum 3,000 words)
2. Flash Fiction (maximum 700 words)
3. Poetry (maximum 40 lines)
The independent panel of judges will select one winner in each category.
One of the three category winners will be selected as the overall winner.
RULES AND CONDITIONS
NOTE A: It breaks our hearts when we have to disqualify entrants who break the rules. Sadly, last year we disqualified a significant number of the entries for disregarding simple rules such as not submitting text in double spacing or including their names and addresses in the text of their submissions. Please read the rules and follow them carefully. We look forward to receiving your entries and we wish you every success in the 2022 competition.
- Entries must be the original work of the entrant and should not have been previously published in any format, online or print, self-published or paid.
- Entries must be double spaced in Microsoft word, 12 point, Times New Roman font – please do not include images or coloured fonts – and should be saved as .docx or .doc documents. The name of the entrant should not appear anywhere in the document. (see Note A above).
- Entries must be submitted via the Online Entry Form on the Competition page of the WBTS website, www.writebythesea.ie, where entrants will upload their names and contact details.
- All entries must be in English.
- Entrants can submit as many entries as they wish at €10 per entry, or €25 for three entries (which can be in any or all of the three categories).
- Should your entry win a prize or be published elsewhere, please let us know so that we can remove it from the WBTS 2022 Writing Competition.
- The decision of the judges is final and no correspondence/contact will be entered into and no feedback will be given to individual entrants.
- Entrants should retain copies of their work as entries will NOT be returned.
- Committee members and relatives of committee members of the Write By The Sea festival, its agents, contributors or sponsors are not eligible to enter the competition.
- All non-winning entries will be deleted from our records after three months from the date of the announcement of the competition results.
- Sat 23rd April 2022 – Portal opens for submissions at https://writebythesea.ie/writing-competitions/
- Friday 10th June 2022 – Competition closes at 11.59 pm.
- Saturday 6th August 2022 – Shortlist of the winning entry titles will be posted on the WBTS website, writebythesea.ie
- Saturday 3rd September 2022 – winners will be notified by WBTS
- Each category winner will be invited to read their work at a public event as part of the festival. This may be online or live with an audience depending on Covid-19 restrictions.</li
- October 2022 – the winning pieces will be published on the WBTS website.